Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Why I Refuse to Apologize for My Language (especially on Facebook)

Why I Refuse to Apologize for My Language

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of posts on Facebook that go something like this: "Sorry for the language, but..." or "This person cusses a lot, so sorry about that, but you should watch it if you like funny people doing funny things." I've also encountered people who have confronted me about using language on my Facebook page because "my kids are your Facebook friends."

Well, maybe your "kids" shouldn't be on Facebook. I say this in the gentlest way possible, because I know it's hard - as a mother, I don't want Diana to be subjected to anything the world has to throw at her until she's good and ready. But that looks more like me filtering what she's exposed to than trying to control the people around her.

I won't ever apologize for the use of "damn" or "shit" on my Facebook page because that is my space. For me. I don't have a Facebook for everyone else - I have a Facebook for me. Because I enjoy having a Facebook. I upload photos of Diana, connect with other new moms, play games, and I like a ton of pages.

I walked on eggshells for YEARS after being confronted about my language because I felt the right thing to do was obey the person who confronted me. And then, a few days ago, I was sitting in my living room chair and the memory came upon me and I had such a strong sense of irritation. At first I didn't know why, but as I dug deeper (something I've been trying to do lately - be more intentional about everything and due to that, find out why I feel certain ways about certain things) I realized that I was irritated and rubbed the wrong way because I am going to be 26 this year.

I am not 13. 
I am not 17. 
I am not your child.
I am not even a child at all. 

I am an adult. And I will choose to behave - in my own space - how I see fit. I won't come into your space and criticize you for posting too many pictures of David Beckham with no shirt (not that that offends me), so don't come into mine and try to control my language.

As a Christian, I fought for a long time against using profanity because I felt that it was wrong. While you won't ever catch me using His name in vain, you also won't catch me pretending to be something that I'm not just for you.

Not sorry.

I feel like I should end this post with a smiley face so that I don't get berated.

So here you go:

:)

No comments

Post a Comment

© Thanks to Coffee
Maira Gall